Attorney General Garland: Trump “Personally Approved” Raid

Attorney General Garland: Trump "Personally Approved" Raid

Status: 08/12/2022 03:42 AM

Was the US Justice Department involved in the crackdown on former President Trump? Yes, it was, Minister Garland confirmed at a news conference scheduled at short notice. He also condemned the attacks on the FBI.

US Attorney General and Chief Prosecutor Merrick Garland said he “personally approved” the FBI raid on former President Donald Trump’s Florida mansion. There was a “reasonable cause” for a historically unique action against a former US president, Garland told reporters.

The discovery of Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s private residence, was heavily criticized by prominent Republican representatives. Garland said his House – which is both the Justice Department and the nation’s top law enforcement agency – “does not take such a decision lightly.” Wherever possible, “we are looking for less intrusive means of search as an alternative,” Garland said. Each search is strictly limited.

Federal Police FBI was last monday Searched Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, Florida estate. The FBI gave no reason for this. According to media reports, these are the documents that Trump took from the White House to Mar-a-Lago after the end of his presidency in January 2021, although according to the law, he should hand over all the documents to the National Archives.

Minister wants to publish search warrant

Garland said he could not comment on the details of the search. However, given the public interest and Trump’s confirmation of the incident, his department has petitioned a federal court to issue search warrants and receipts for any items confiscated. “All Americans have the right to the equitable application of the law, due process, and the presumption of innocence,” Garland stressed.

READ  "Estonia" sinking: new investigation into the wreckage begins

The raid on a former president is considered unprecedented in American history. Since then the pressure has mounted on Garland to take a stand. In his statement, he also condemned the “baseless attacks” on the FBI that followed the search. FBI Director Christopher Wray previously spoke about threats against the FBI in relation to the raid on Trump’s mansion and described them as “reprehensible and dangerous.”

After Garland’s statement about the search of his home, Trump said his lawyers “will fully cooperate.” According to a report in the Washington Post, the FBI was at Mar-a-Lago looking for documents on nuclear weapons. So initially it was not clear whether such papers were found.

Written By
More from Cary Payne
EU considers entry of 42,500 Afghans viable
overseas Brussels EU considers entry of 42,500 Afghans viable Stands: 12:26 am|...
Read More
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.