Augsburg has a small, free open air museum on Domplatz. Roman relics tell about the history of the city.
So far we have mainly presented individual items in this series. But it is also a veritable little open-air museum with a lot of applied art to see, especially in times of epidemic, and it should be free, today.
In 1954 the Roman Wall was added to the Cathedral Square in Augsburg.
With our inner eyes we are on the Southern Cathedral Square. A large historical place in the city, which is not bad in historical sites. And in 1954 the so-called Roman Wall was added there, which now – the Dominican Church has been closed for years, the armory closed – providing valuable services in terms of viewing Roman relics.
In Detail and Selection: The Roman residential edifice arises from the economic succession of Augusta Vindelicum, as the seat of the Roman governor of the Alpine province of Retia: in the second century after Christ, Emperor Hadrian granted the city rights Were. The layout of the room becomes clear in the bird’s view from the Cathedral Square; The building, possibly used as a business house or hostel, had a bathroom – or at least underfloor heating. A good system has also survived, which was used until the early Middle Ages, when a chapel with an apple which reappears today was built there. Under Bishop Ulrich, however, St. Johann was built above it in 960 – used as a baptismal and cemetery church. Its ape has also been exposed or clearly marked by brick walls since 1932.
Five cornice blocks may have come from a Roman temple
All of this is easy to understand – gliding through the centuries – but not the former location of the Epiphany Chapel and the location of the “Finaster Grad” corridor, which once went from the Cathedral to St. Johann and served as a covered grave site. For the Patidars.
The so-called Roman Wall, on which a collection of Roman stone pieces can be seen: architectural parts such as five cornice blocks, which could ever serve in the temple; Gravestones, such as Marcus Aurelius carus which is probably accompanied by pine cones, as well as the famous relief of wine carts with oxen; Memorials in honor of high-class people such as emperors and governors, and finally proof of worship of the gods such as high-quality relief of Mercury. Some of these were refilled for reasons of vandalism and air pollution.
And then there is the Jupiter altar, built by a police officer / soldier on December 13, 194, on the occasion of his “retirement”.
Today, however, we imagine what it would be like if it became the norm at every retirement age.
Read more about art in public places:
We want to know what you think: die Augsburg general So works with the polling institute Civey Together. Read here what a representative survey is and why you should register.
Web guru. Amateur thinker. Unapologetic problem solver. Zombie expert. Hipster-friendly travel geek. Social mediaholic.