Over 50 arrested for arson in Portugal
According to the government, the devastating wildfires of the past few days and weeks are in the holiday destination of Portugal also due to negligence and willful arson, More than 50 people had been arrested till mid-July this year on suspicion of being responsible for the forest fireInterior Minister Jose Luis Carneiro told a parliamentary inquiry on Tuesday. He stressed that this is more than 20 arrests compared to the same period last year.
According to the knowledge of the authorities in Portugal Only 23 percent of all fires have a purely natural causeThey said. About 60 percent are caused by carelessness when using a fire, such as grilling and smoking, or a campfire. According to Carneiro, 13 percent were intentionally involved in arson. The remaining 4 per cent will be due to the use of agricultural machinery, the minister explained. Portugal is doing everything to make society aware of the risks and to take preventive measures.
According to the nature conservation authority ICNF, fires have already destroyed Portugal in six and a half months this year. About 60,000 hectares. This is more than double compared to the previous year (28 415 ha). This year, with the outbreak and spread of wildfires, there will be months of drought, Particularly favored by periods of intense heat and recent strong winds, Civil Defense said. State TV broadcaster RTP reported that in different parts of Portugal, six major wildfires were active on Tuesday evening, which were fought by a total of more than 900 emergency services. (dpa)
Introvert. Proud beer specialist. Coffee geek. Typical thinker. Pop culture trailblazer. Music practitioner. Explorer.