About a month ago, the military took power in Sudan and placed the head of government under house arrest. This was followed by weeks of massive protests. It is now said that an agreement has been reached with the Putschists.
Abdalla Hamdok, the head of government who was put under house arrest after the coup in Sudan, is to take office again. Sudanese mediators reported on Sunday an agreement with the leader of the coup conspirators, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan. “The agreement was reached between General Burhan, Abdullah Hamdok, political forces and civil society organizations,” Fadallah Burma, senior mediator for AFP news agency, told AFP. The deal also provides for the release of civilian politicians.
The military took power in Sudan on 25 October; Civilian members of the transitional government were arrested. Al-Burhan declared a state of emergency and announced the rapid formation of a new government. Mass protests lasting weeks and were violently suppressed.
The political situation in Sudan has long been unstable. After the overthrow of longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir in 2019, a so-called sovereign council took over the business of government, with the military and civilians sharing power. Since then, the country has been in a transition phase that should end with the establishment of a civilian government in 2023. The US, Germany and other Western countries had condemned the coup and called for a return to civilian-led transition to democracy. Financial aid has also been stopped.
Introvert. Proud beer specialist. Coffee geek. Typical thinker. Pop culture trailblazer. Music practitioner. Explorer.