Police clear out tent protest at Confederation Square

Close

Article content continued

Ottawa police removed the encampment of the Canadian Revolution group that had set up camp since July beside the National War Memorial on Saturday. Fencing was erected and city crews worked to remove the items left behind and to clean up the space Photo by Ashley Fraser /Postmedia

The nuisance regulations forbid people from living, sleeping or erecting a structure at a public space without permission. Police moved in around 6 a.m., Dompierre said.

“Our first role in the intervention was to keep the peace. When we got there, there were three occupants in the encampment.”

“No camping” signs had been put up at the site on Thursday. Protesters were warned in writing that day that they had to leave, a statement from Public Services and Procurement Canada said.

“Temporary fencing around the grounds has been installed so that the site can be properly restored in advance of the upcoming anniversary of the death of Corporal Nathan Carillo and the National Remembrance Day Ceremony, which are an important reminder of the significance of this site,” said the statement from Public Services and Procurement Canada, which manages the site. In addition, annual winterization of the site will be completed.

The people at the encampment espoused a wide range of grievances, including opposition to wearing face masks and a claim that the federal government deliberately allowed COVID-19 into the country. They said they belonged to a group called the Canadian Revolution and called their encampment the “freedom siege.”

One member of the encampment live-streamed video of himself accosting NDP leader Jagmeet Singh and a Radio-Canada reporter he apparently mistook for a member of Parliament.

READ  India Tells US Tax On Google, Amazon Not Biased, No Rethink: Report

Public Services and Procurement Canada Minister Anita Anand said last week that she supported the right to peaceful protest, but Canadians should be able to pay their respects at national memorials without being harassed.

OTTAWA -- October 17, 2020 --Ottawa police removed the encampment of the Canadian Revolution group that had set up camp since July beside the National War Memorial, Saturday October 17, 2020. Fences have been put up and city crews are working to remove the items left behind and clean up the space. ASHLEY FRASER, POSTMEDIA
Ottawa police removed the encampment of the Canadian Revolution group that had set up camp since July beside the National War Memorial on Saturday. Photo by Ashley Fraser /Postmedia

[email protected]

twitter.com/JacquieAMiller

Written By
More from Alec Woods

New COVID-19 cases in Ontario surpass 1,000

  TORONTO — Ontario recorded more than 1,000 new cases of COVID-19...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *