Everyone knows basketball. But do you know the most important terms and conditions related to NBA? SPORT BILD offers you an NBA crash course.
The NBA (National Basketball Association) is an American professional basketball league for over 70 years. In 1949, the NBA emerged from the BAA (Basketball Association of America), which was founded in 1946. By 1953 the league consisted of 17 teams. The most influential and successful team in the early 1950s was the Minneapolis Lakers. For the 1953/1954 season, the NBA was expanded to 25 teams. Among the new franchises were the Boston Celtics and New York Knicks.
In 1976, the NBA acquired minor rival league ABA (American Basketball Association). This merger created four more NBA franchises (the Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs and New York Nets).
As of 2004, the NBA consists of 30 teams (29 from the United States and one from Canada)!
NBA teams are divided into two disciplines (Eastern Conference and Western Conference). Both the conferences are divided into three parts in turn.
The three divisions of the Eastern Conference are Atlantic, Central and Southeast:
|Boston Celtics||Boston, Mass.|
|Brooklyn Nets||New York City, New York|
|new York Knicks||New York City, New York|
|Philadelphia 76ers||Philly, Pennsylvania|
|Toronto Raptors||Toronto Canada|
|Chicago Bulls||Chicago, Illinois|
|Cleveland Cavaliers||Cleveland, Ohio|
|Detroit Pistons||Detroit, Micho|
|Indiana Pacers||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Milwaukee Bucks||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|Atlanta Hawks||Atlanta, Georgia|
|Charlotte Hornets||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|heat of miami||Miami, Fla|
|orlando magic||Orlando, Fla|
|Washington Wizards||Washington DC|
The three divisions of the Western Conference are the Northwest, Pacific and Southwest:
|Denver Nuggets||Denver, Colo|
|Minnesota Timberwolves||Minnesota, Minneapolis|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma|
|Portland Trail Blazers||Portland, Oregon|
|Utah Jazoo||Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Golden State Warriors||San Francisco, California|
|la clippers||Los Angeles, California|
|la lakers||Los Angeles, California|
|Phoenix Sun||Phoenix, Arizona|
|Sacramento Kings||Sacramento, California|
|Dallas Mavericks||Dallas, Texas|
|Houston Rockets||Houston, Texas|
|memphis grizzlies||Memphis, Tennessee|
|New Orleans Pelicans||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|San Antonio Spurs||San Antonio, Texas|
NBA Terms and Conditions
For basketball you need a field, two baskets and a ball. Here you will find the most important terms and conditions:
- The game is played on a field 94 ft (approximately 29 m) long (29 m) and 50 ft (approximately 15 m) wide.
- Two teams of five players each compete against each other.
- In addition to the starting five, each team has seven substitutes.
- The players’ positions are center, guard and forward.
- Points are scored by throwing a ball about 3 meters high into the opponent’s basket.
- The team with the most points wins!
- A hit near the basket garners two points.
- A hit thrown behind the so-called 3-point line earns three points.
- The team gets one point for a free throw.
- A free throw results from an opponent’s foul.
There are four different types of fouls in the NBA:
- The most common is a personal foul (unauthorized contact by an offensive or defensive player).
- Technical glitch (technical error or inappropriate behavior).
- Non-player-like foul (unnecessarily difficult contact).
- Disqualification Dishonesty (assault or insult).
A player is disqualified from play in the NBA after committing six normal fouls, two non-playing or technical fouls, or one disqualifying foul.
Other rules in the NBA:
- A game is played in four quarters of 12-12 minutes each.
- An attack by a team cannot last more than 24 seconds.
- This 24-second clock is also called “shot clock”.
- The ball can only be played in its own half for eight seconds.
- The ball is out of bounds when the ball itself or the player in possession of the ball touches the ground outside the field of play.
- If a player steps on the line at the edge of the field, he is out!
- A player can dribble the basketball to go across the field. When he stops dribbling, he is only allowed two more touches before he can throw or pass the ball.
- Under no circumstances may the ball be played with the foot, leg or knee. This foul is called footplay.
- Every NBA team coach has a so-called “Coach Challenge”. If he demands it, the previous referee’s decision is checked through video evidence.
- Timeouts are also available for each team.
- Both teams have one 20-second time-out and seven full time-outs (1 minute and 15 seconds) per game.
Web guru. Amateur thinker. Unapologetic problem solver. Zombie expert. Hipster-friendly travel geek. Social mediaholic.