Superstar Rafael Nadal celebrated a stunning first round victory at the Australian Open after consecutive back problems.
The 13-time French Open champion defeated Serbian Lezlo Jire from 6: 3, 6: 4, 6: 1 in 1:52 hours on Tuesday and still has his second win in Melbourne since 2009.
Nadal: “Proceed day by day”
After the match, Nadal said, “It was a hard 15 days of pain for me,” I dealt with it day by day. Today I am happy to come in the second round, certainly it was not ideal preparation. to me. “
Daniel Medvedev is also next. He won against Vasek Pospisil (Canada) 6: 2, 6: 2, 6: 4. Recently, the 24-year-old won the ATP Cup with Russia. Frenchman Stephanos Tsitipas also had no problem against Frenchman Gilles Simon in 6: 1, 6: 2, 6: 1.
The now 34-year-old Mallorcon apparently stayed in a duel with Jere at Rod Laver Arena after Nadal canceled his participation in the competition due to his complaints. “I don’t think about not playing,” Nadal said on Sunday.
Last match in november
Nadal played his last official match against Russian Medvedev in the ATP final in London in November. Last week he defeated the US Open champion Dominique Thiem of Austria in a show fight in Adelaide.
At the Australian Open, Nadal wants to be the only Grand Slam record winner with one more win and then record 21 wins. So far he has shared the title with Swiss Roger Federer, who is missing in Melbourne.