LONDON (AP) – Shortly before the planned broadcast of a much-awaited interview by US talk show host Oprah Winfrey by Duchess Meghan (39) and Prince Harry (36), the couple defends against news reports accusing the palace staff did.
The London Times had reported that in 2018, not long after the couple’s wedding, a complaint about bullying against Meghan led to a detour inside the palace. Accordingly, two personal assistants of the former American actress are said to have thrown the high pressure Meghan had created. There was discussion of insults and tears. It originates from an email from the inner palace that has been leaked to the sheet. Exactly what Meghan is accused of remaining unclear.
Meghan’s lawyers described the allegations in a letter to “The Times” as a “blot campaign calculated based on misleading and damaging false information”. It is no coincidence that these “perverted, many-year-old accusations” were brought to the British press shortly after Meghan and Harry “wanted to speak honestly and honestly about their experiences of the past few years”.
At the request of Meghan and Harry of the German press agency, the spokesperson said, “Meghan is saddened by the recent attack against her person, especially as a person who has been the target of bullying and people who are experiencing pain and trauma.” We are fully committed to supporting them.
In fact Meghan and Harry suspect that the originators of the alleged filth campaign were unclear. A former employee of the couple, who is said to summarize felony charges in an email, is still Harry’s brother Prince William (38) and his wife, Duchess Kate (39), according to The Times doing work.
Buckingham Palace announced that evening that the Human Resources Department would investigate the allegations. One was “very concerned” about the allegations leveled in the “Times” article. Employees, including former employees, should be included. The royal family will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace, it said in a written statement.
Harry and Meghan had turned away from the royal family early last year and announced that they would become financially independent. With his now one-year-old son Archie, he moved first to Canada, then to the USA. A decision they do not want to reverse either, as was confirmed recently.
Externally, he had always justified the move with the great burden of constant observation and unfavorable reporting in taboo media. Harry complained about the “sexism and racism of trolls in social networks” in Autumn 2019 and did a racist act in parts of the British press towards his wife. But even within the royal family the difference of that time could no longer be hidden. During a visit to South Africa, he admitted in front of the camera that he and his brother William were “definitely on different paths”.
A clear indication of this break was that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as Harry and Meghan are said to be in Great Britain, had already withdrawn from the joint foundation with William and Kate in the summer of 2019. The once shared Twitter account of Kensington Palace was now managed only in the names of Kate and William.
Regarding the background, a lot should come to light in the Oprah Winfrey interview, at least from Sussex’s point of view. American broadcaster CBS had already advertised talks with Meghan and Harry in short excerpts. In it, talk show host Winfrey says, among other things: “You have said some very shocking things here.” It remains to be seen whether Meghan and Harry will really compromise not only with the media, but also with Buckingham Palace and the royal family. The interview will be broadcast on US television only on the night of March 8 (CET).
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210303-99-667798 / 7