Düsseldorf Apple’s new operating system iOS 16 has arrived. iPhone users can look forward to innovative ideas for seamless communication and customizable lock screen. What can the update do and for which devices is it available?
With the new iOS 16 operating system, Apple is taking a big step towards user-friendliness. There are a lot more options now available for customizing the iPhone for individual needs. Features previously available only on Android devices offer unprecedented personalization opportunities. We’ve summarized the most important innovations for you and revealed on which devices the update is available and how you can install it.
What new features are coming iOS16?
iOS 16 brings many new features and optimizes the existing capabilities of the device. Like the iPhone 14 Pro, the main focus is on the lock screen.
New functions at a glance:
- New Lock Screen: The biggest and most important innovation that iOS 16 brings is a more practical and personalized lock screen. That’s the focus of the update. Users can change the design of the lock screen and customize it as per their individual needs. The font and color used to display the date and time can now be set as you wish. Such a function was previously reserved for Android devices. Its widget function is now available for Apple users as well. Personal appointments or weather forecasts can now be easily displayed on the lock screen. Focus Mode, with which you can sort your widgets by theme, is also one of the new functions.
- Update for messages and mail: The iPhone-exclusive function iMessages gets a function previously only known from the messenger service WhatsApp: messages can now be recalled or edited later. This should also be possible in the mail program in the future. Practical in times of pandemic: Thanks to the new SharePlay function, users can communicate via FaceTime as well as stream a movie or series.
- photo library: iOS 16 makes it possible to edit the iPhone’s photo library with up to six users. This makes it easy to work synchronously on group projects at school and at work. The new Virtual Lookup feature helps in translating the content of images. In this way they can be better understood and classified.
- leaves: In the future, routes up to 15 stops can be planned in the Maps app. The Maps app will now also show public transport updates.
Which iPhones get the update?
Unlike iOS 15, the new operating system no longer runs on older iPhone models. The following devices are supported by iOS 16:
- iPhone 14 Series (Preinstalled)
- iPhone 13 + iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 12 + iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 11 + iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone XS, XR and X
- iphone 8 plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
It is surprising that not only iPhone 6, but also iPhone 7 are no longer supported. So far, Apple has only removed one iPhone generation from the list of supported models with each new operating system. In addition to the iPhones mentioned above, the iPad Mini 4 and iPad Air 2 will no longer receive updates.
How is iOS 16 installed?
The update will be installed in the normal way. Users can search for iOS 16 under Settings > General > Software Update. If the iPhone has less than 50 percent battery life, the installation cannot take place. Although the download will start anyway, the device should still be connected to the charger. Anyone who has opted for automatic updates will have to be patient for some time. On average, this happens only one to three weeks after the update is released. Apple decided to take this step to relieve the servers and avoid problems caused by faulty software.
Internet fan. Alcohol expert. Beer ninja. Organizer. Certified tv specialist. Explorer. Social media nerd.